Monday 8 October 2012

Once, twice, four times a Fresher

This year's Freshers’ Week at the University of Southampton was my fourth. My fourth Bunfight, and my fourth time braving the crowds. If that didn’t make me feel old, then walking past the queue of eager first years (and second and third years, no doubt) waiting for free pizza at the Freshers’ Fayre certainly did!

My first Freshers’ week was a whirlwind of freebies, drinks, meeting people whose names you would instantly forget, and getting lost around campus. I don’t really remember much, because it went so quickly (and it was three years ago now!). This year, however, my Freshers’ week revolved around representing the Wessex Scene at the Welcome to SUSU Day, and at the Bunfight, as well as being introduced to my new course, and – once again – forgetting people’s names!

After your first Freshers’, it's not quite the same again. That’s pretty obvious really. You no longer have the adrenaline that keeps you running around meeting people and trying new things, even after a heavy night out. However, just because it’s your second, third, or fourth Freshers’ Week, it doesn't mean you can’t have fun.

1. You can do it like a pro:

One of the best things about being an older student during Freshers’ Week is that you know all the best bits already. I avoided the events that I knew wouldn't interest me, and I was able to enjoy nights out where I knew I would have a good time. I spent time meeting friends and could get on with important things without feeling like I would be missing out on trying something new.

2. You can stay in and nobody will judge you:

Another of my favourite things about Freshers’ week as a postgrad (which also applies to undergrads too!) is that you don’t have to go out if you don’t want to. Don’t get me wrong, I am a fan of nights out with friends, dancing badly to songs from the 90s and attempting to pull off Psy’s Gangnam Style with all the aplomb of a drunken donkey. But I do find that there is nothing nicer than a drink at The Stag's, a film and pizza night with your nearest and dearest, or a night in on your own with many episodes of How I Met Your Mother and a cup of tea. Chances are even the most hardcore nightclub fans crave a quiet night in in their onesie. Embrace the quiet night in! There’s no pressure to go out and prove yourself, or to join in for fear of being an outcast, as there may be during your first Freshers’ Week.

3. You can spend the week doing what you want:

My third favourite thing about Freshers’ Week when you’re no longer a Fresher is that, if you don’t fancy traipsing along to the Union to queue for hours for bags of vouchers, or to sign up to more societies, it's a week of fun with your closest friends or housemates until the work begins. In my second year, Freshers’ week consisted of watching films with my lovely housemates, trips to the pub, and generally catching up with people. You choose what you want to do, and there’s no pressure to attend all the events on the SUSU Calendar (even though they are pretty darn good!)

I myself had a great fourth Freshers’ Week, working with the Wessex Scene, getting ready for my new degree, and meeting with friends for lunch or coffee. Freshers’ Week is fantastic when you’re a Fresher – and it’s fantastic when you’re a fourth year (and everything in between) but for different reasons.

For any Freshers reading this, I hope you had an amazing time – I maintain that I am still thoroughly jealous! Freshers’ week was around two weeks ago now (not counting last week's events which took place with lectures, and the Freshers’ Ball on Monday) but the University is still buzzing. Next year, though it won’t quite be the same for many of you, it may prove to be just as good; or even a little bit better.

Joanne

No comments:

Post a Comment