Thursday 4 October 2012

Third year mentality

I arrived in the UK mid-way through Fresher’s week and after a LOT of pre uni washing and filling my handbag with as many tins of tomatoes I could take from my mum’s shelves I set off for my third year at University. Yep that’s right, MY THIRD, LAST, YEAR!

As you may have seen, I have spent a summer dilly dallying about and not really doing a lot - suddenly university seems to have crept up on me again and, frankly, I feel outraged.

In so many ways there is nothing better than going back to Southampton and instantly falling back into that usual routine of having no routine except an expert tea rota. There was this general consensus that, seeing as it is our last and final year, we have to make the most of every moment. A philosophy I could definitely get on board with. My housemate has most certainly taken this to heart as about two weeks ago he told me that he’d decided he was moving to Hong Kong for the semester. As you do... It will be strange not having him in the house, especially as he was perfect motivation to push myself more, but I cannot be happier for him. He has seen an opportunity and gone for it, which is kind of what University is all about.

I came back and had a standard oh so classic night out at Jesters, went and did a massive shop at Sainsbury’s and I’ve already got locked out of my new bedroom – all in all, I am ready to go. I am going to take third year by storm. 

Now, like most people I am sure I will go into this year with the best intentions, with those best made plans to go to the Library after every lecture and write a little bit of my dissertation every day – I mean I have already got my felt-tip pens out and made the timetable. But, the fact is, I can’t afford to not follow through this year. What it is worth is both terrifying and thrilling in equal weight. I have fully booked myself up with events via Career Destinations, I’ve already started applying for jobs (eekkk) and I am now looking into doing a Masters (putting off the inevitable no doubt). 

However I am starting to feel torn, it’s typical isn’t it; it’s your very last year at university and you know, no matter what, you are going to have to work harder than you have ever worked before. And yet you are still considering going out multiple times a week – simply because it is your very last year at university. Yes you are going to have to work hard but surely you are going to have to make the most of being a student – to properly utilise that 10% discount in Topshop and the all the brilliant excuses being a ‘student’ provides.




I will have to become a healthy hybrid of ‘work’ and ‘play’


This year is, I suppose, about finding a balance, a skill which I probably should have learnt a long time ago but something I am notoriously bad at. I will try my hardest not to overwork myself and stress out my poor housemates with my constant panic about graduating.

This year is going to be massive, I guess I just need to accept that, take a deep breath, and look ahead.

Florence

No comments:

Post a Comment