Tuesday 18 December 2012

Anyone for tea?

I love anything international – I adore travelling and exotic food and cannot wait to live abroad. However, there will always, always, be a special place in my heart for a classic cup of English tea.
Unanimously, nothing can beat it.

This weekend I met up with some of my family (the best thing about Christmas) and we went to Billesley Manor, just outside Stratford upon Avon, for high tea. I felt extremely spoilt.

So, now is the time where my inner middle-aged woman shines through; yes I love cups of tea over pints of beer and yes, I have National Trust membership. I am not ashamed (okay, maybe just a little); but I am just old way before my time. Naturally therefore you can understand why I was over the moon with this day; it combined two of my favourite past times.

Billesley Manor is set in the heart of Shakespeare country and as we drove up the lawn I felt instinctively at home. Rumour has it that William Shakespeare used the library in the Manor and the All Saints’ Church, which is set in the ground and dates back to the 11th century, is said to be where Shakespeare married Anne Hathaway. Things like this, however sad it may be, excite me greatly.

So not only did I get to wear a fancy dress and don some pearls, I also got to snoop around a lavish house and pretend to be a wealthy lady of the manor, but, on top of all that I got to drink tea by the bucket load and indulge in scones, sandwiches with the crusts cut off, and a mountain of pastries. Simply divine.





A cup of tea goes surprisingly well with champagne. I am advocating that this becomes a new tradition.


It all felt wonderfully British, and now, whilst being conked out on the sofa watching Sports Personality of the Year it feels very good to embrace my inner English-ness. I think I often forget, when my mind is fixated on living in Paris, New York or India, how important it is remember where you are from. As reflected in the greatest sporting events, the British determination, spirit, talent and energy makes me swell with pride. I am sure I am not the only one who welled up listening to Martine Wright, who won the Helen Rollason award for outstanding achievement in the face of adversity. For being strong, for being thankful for the opportunity to participate, and for being a Paralympic award winning athlete after the 7/7 bombings; she succeeds in putting everything into perspective. So, because of her, and because of Mo Farrah, Jess Ennis, Nicola Adams, and everyone else I am extremely proud to be British, to drink my cup of tea and to enjoy my national heritage.

I’ll raise a glass, or mug of earl grey, to them.

This post, unintentionally, went off on a bit of a tangent; what I wanted to say was – go out for afternoon tea, it is scrummy and you feel civilised. There is always an excuse to have a treat with the family. Drink tea, whatever the problem is, drink tea drink tea drink tea. Then drink some more tea. And lastly, enjoy and embrace our country’s traditions, be proud of your inheritance – be it the National Trust, Shakespeare or Sir Chris Hoy.

Florence

No comments:

Post a Comment