Friday 14 December 2012

My nine films of Christmas

The Life at Southampton blog is currently awash with seasonal posts about mince pies, friends and family, and the magic of Christmas – and quite rightly so. Christmas is everywhere, whether you like it or not. And like Florence, I too am a self-confessed super-fan of Christmas. It is my favourite time of year. There is no denying that!

Amongst everything I love about Christmas – the shopping, the food, the friends and the beautiful lights – there is sometimes nothing better than snuggling down in a blanket, with a cup of tea, some Christmas treats and your family or friends to watch a good old Christmas film. Christmas TV is often the heart of the home at Christmas – I know many whose plans at this time of year are nearly always worked around films, series ‘specials’ and live broadcasts.

So now, compared to my previous posts, for something completely different. Here are my Nine Films of Christmas.

These are the films that I just cannot imagine going through Christmas without. Christmas is incomplete in the Fisher household without these, and I thoroughly recommend you watch them too!

1. My first Christmas must-see has to be the wonderful Elf. Starring Will Ferrell as Buddy the Elf, it tells the story of his journey to New York city. I can guarantee you will be chuckling away and quoting the film from now until Christmas 2013.

2. The Polar Express is a favourite with all of my family – this animated adventure is always watched on Christmas Eve at home despite it technically being a children’s film. Tom Hanks pretty much voices everyone, and the music is wonderful. This story was a favourite for me when read out at every Christmas Assembly at school, and the film is just as good.

3. You can’t call it Christmas at my house without watching Raymond Briggs’ fantastic The Snowman made in 1982. It is an absolute classic and never fails to get me in the Christmas spirit – this is normally viewed after The Polar Express and before Father Christmas on Christmas Eve with some mulled wine and a mince pie. There’s a new sequel being aired on the 24th as well, which I will be keen (if a little dubious) to see!

4. Father Christmas is another wonderful animated Christmas film, showing us what Saint Nick gets up to for the other 364 days of the year. It’s funny, and another firm favourite.

5. It’s A Wonderful Life – a favourite of my Mum’s. I’ve only ever watched it once but am determined to see it again this Christmas – be prepared with tissues though, as it’s a weepy one!

6. Another one of my Mum’s essential films at Christmas is White Christmas which is famous for the song of the same name. It’s a classic; a good one to watch if you’re looking for some vintage Christmas cheer.

7. If you’re a fan of cheese then Miracle on 34th Street would be a good one to pick – it stars the girl from Matilda and Richard Attenborough and will either make you feel ill from its sickening happiness or will make you feel very Christmassy. Either way, if you like seeing children’s dreams come true, this one’s for you!

8. Love Actually – This is hugely popular amongst the girls but has many male fans too – if you like films like About a Boy and Notting Hill then start with this one – it never fails to make me feel merry! It tends to be a little more risqué than most other Christmas movies, so maybe not one for family viewing.

9. Yes, it’s another cheesy one – but when have Christmas films ever not been cheesy? Jack Frost tells the story of a man who comes back as a snow man. His name Is Jack Frost. That’s all I need to say, really!

I didn’t have enough films to make it to ‘Twelve Films of Christmas’ – I regret to inform you that I have never seen Home Alone (to the horror of many of my friends!) Maybe I will see it this year. Now you know a little more about my Christmas traditions – hopefully you’ll make a few of your own!

Joanne

2 comments:

  1. You know what's crazy??? I am planning a post Sunday on my 5 favorite Christmas films. I LOVE this blog Joanne! May I become a follower??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi 'Optimistic Existentialist' - feel free to follow the blog! I'm glad you liked the post! Have fun choosing your own favourite films :)

    ReplyDelete