Tuesday 11 December 2012

What Christmas means to me

Christmas is crazy. It is absolutely mental and without a doubt well and truly upon us; deck the halls to the high heavens and all that.

This weekend I went to Bath, a wonderful corner of preserved England, and met up with several of my old school friends for a weekend of Christmas merriment. Whilst on the train back I decided to put down in words and properly think about what the season really meant to me – apart from an abundance of good food and lazy afternoons.

Now, I am a fan of Christmas, a self-confessed obsessed fan – if it was socially acceptable to start decorating a tree and listening to Christmas tunes in July, I would seriously consider it. Naturally therefore I revelled in going to see my friend, who studies at Bath University, sing in her church choir service on Saturday evening. O Little Town of Bethlehem really does warm the heart. As does the abundance of mince pies and mulled wine.

However, as much as I enjoy Christmas, I also sort of really loathe it; I seriously think it makes me hate people – not in a horrible irredeemable way - but in a ‘why has everyone on the planet decided to do their Christmas shopping on the same day as me?’ way. Coursework hand-ins and January exams are stressful, granted, but there is nothing worse than the constant demanding thud of that one impossible present that you still have to buy for that one impossible person. I swear my body reverts to panic mode; I will pick up anything (and I mean anything) and consider how it will somehow, no matter how wildly, relate to the person I am shopping for.

Yes, my mother has always yearned for stationery before you ask.

To add to this is the task which I always seem to miscalculate; shopping for boys, something which always reduces me to the verge of tears. I start to loathe them too (along with everyone else in town). I would like to think I am not the only woman who finds buying for men excruciating, so come on girls; let’s unite together and make them like scented candles and vases – surely together we can make them see sense?! You see, I have a terrible habit of buying presents I would happily keep for myself, which makes shopping for men a right old mare.

Despite having to contend with all humanity in one tiny market I still had a wonderful time, I promise, regardless of how narcissistic I sounded above. Because that is Christmas isn’t it – you have the highs; the mince pies, the woolly jumpers and The Pogues, but you also have the lows; the bitter cold, suddenly losing every roll of sellotape in the house when you desperately need to do your wrapping, and of course, the hordes of people also frantically doing their own shopping.

Every year it is the same, but we wouldn’t have it any other way.





Elbows out to get all the free tasters at the Christmas market


This got me thinking, what is it about Christmas that I enjoy so much (I assure you it isn’t the shopping), and I realised (as everyone does at Christmas), that it is the people. I could have been anywhere with these people and still written a blog about how much I love Christmas and love them. Nothing else really matters, call me sentimental, but the people always make the season.

So, before I say anything more I want to say thank you to my wonderful home friends; they are nicer than I ever deserve and better me constantly. (I also want to apologise for being so soppy and properly disgusting them all – it’s just what this time of year does to me…)

Really, there is nothing greater than seeing the people you have known all your life for mulled wine, carols and board games. Christmas is a child’s game, and these people relight my inner youth.

I think it is so important for me to remember, being this time of year and all, how incredibly lucky I am – I have my health, my education, and most essentially I have friends and family I cherish.

I know it sounds cheesy (and it is), but I feel so rich when I am around them; I have a wealth of kind people that I love and I am lucky enough to be able to spend time with them. Jeez, I mean how could I not feel blessed, despite everyone being insanely busy I still get to hear how their lives are. No matter where I am and what life I lead, these are the people that have made me who I am and I know that I will always, always, have time for them. So, seeing as it’s Christmas and all that – and the best thing about Christmas is boozy meals with loved ones – I encourage everyone to think of their friends and family, and even if you can’t be with them, thank them for all the happiness they bring to your life.

Florence

No comments:

Post a Comment