Friday 7 December 2012

Holidays are coming

The lights are up, mulled cider is flowing and festive songs are springing up all over Surge, the student radio station. It must be Christmas time on campus.

I am a staunch believer that nothing Christmassy should be experienced before 1 December. On that day, the advent calendars can come out, decorations can be hung and ‘Fairytale of New York’ can be sung wildly in the shower as often as desired. 

Christmas came early(ish) to the University of Southampton when the lights were turned on last week complete with snow, mince pies and a market. Since then, the University has been in a festive mood, and with only two more weeks of term-time left it’s only right that we embrace all things merry. The fact that you leave University to go home in the second week of December means that you need to make the most of being surrounded by your friends as much as possible, which means starting your celebrations at the first opportunity. Which is why, on 1 December, my flatmate Rachel and I could be found decorating our flat to the sounds of Chris de Burgh and Slade.



Campus Christmas lights looking magical at night


My flat is now adorned with foil decorations that look like they’ve come straight out of a bad 1970s sitcom, and I have already indulged in my first mince pie of the season. Rekorderlig winter cider (served hot, of course) is my new favourite drink of choice, and my Christmas playlist is on repeat on my iPod in a  bid to get me in the Christmas spirit – with everything from the Jackson 5 to the Philharmonic orchestra.



In my first year my flatmates and I indulged in a homemade Christmas dinner on a budget – the first of many!


University at Christmas time becomes such a hub of seasonal activity that there is something for everyone in the run up to the Christmas period. I have plenty of exciting events planned over the next week and a half before heading back to Kent. Despite having mountains of work to do in the form of preparing January deadlines (and I will no doubt be spending most of my time in the library), Christmas wouldn’t be the same if this wasn’t twinned with festive treats to keep me going!

On Tuesday 4 December I attended the Humanities and Social Sciences Christmas Ball – this was my fourth Christmas ball and it was a fantastic event (so a huge thank you to those who organised the whole thing!) It was a great night, as we enjoyed live music, mulled wine and candy floss – not to mention the opportunity to dress in our finest!



Provenance nightclub in the city centre was decked out in all its splendour for the Ball


The Wessex Scene held a Relaunch Party in the Bridge on Friday 30 November which was also a success and gave us the opportunity to showcase our new designs and to celebrate with readers and contributors. We also had some live entertainment in the form of Dan Tovey, Triassic (performing  their acoustic set) and #Tags – all of whom attend or have attended the University. There’s nothing quite like home grown talent!



The Wessex Scene Relaunch Party made use of the Bridge Bar and went down well with everyone who attended!

As for future events, I’m planning on watching It’s a Wonderful Life at Union Films on Tuesday 11th, ice skating at the Winchester market later in the week and heading out for a Christmas meal with my flatmate on the Friday before taking the rest of the day off to go to the German market in West Quay. I think that’s enough festive cheer to counteract the work that my master’s degree has presented me with!

Christmas at University is a different kind of occasion to the somewhat sophisticated and well-organised event that you may be used to at home, under the careful preparation of your parents. It is now that you realise the Christmas period is, really, about spending time with the people that you love, and your friends and flatmates become your family. Christmas dinners are planned weeks in advance using as many discount vouchers as possible, and Secret Santa provides everyone with the ability to give without being out of pocket. All in all, it’s an experience worth savouring – so my advice would be to cram as much in to the next few weeks as possible.

Joanne

No comments:

Post a Comment