Monday 3 December 2012

A student’s Christmas list

With the back of November, there’s only one thing the inner child in me is screaming: “IT’S CHRISTMAS!”

Yes, ignoring the couple of weeks’ worth of coursework to be completed, lectures to be attended and revision to be planned - luckily I now seem to be on the home straight in terms of workload! – I can now sense the tingle in the air that signifies a time of well-wishing, corny television advertisements, excessive amounts of food and general merriment abound. It’s been a hectic and at times demanding introduction to second year, but one which I honestly feel I can say I’ve squeezed the most out of, and I’m excited to soon be returning up North for many a rest and reunion.

But before then there’s the small matter of celebrating the season to be jolly down in Southampton, as the plans for house meals and parties are laid, Secret Santa raffles kick into gear (though, judging from my receipt of a pair of pink boxers last time around, these aren’t always fruitful!) and, despite rapidly plummeting temperatures, members of the community congregate to share in the atmosphere of the time of year, such as at the event held this Wednesday to mark the switching on of the Christmas lights at the University.



Nothing says Christmas like some good old fashioned carols!


It was a fantastic occasion with young and old in attendance, each receiving some free mulled wine and a mince pie, enjoying the heart-warming melodies of the carol singers under the (artificial, unfortunately!) snow and witnessing the moment the beautiful lights illuminated Highfield campus for the first time. It was great to see so many people united under the University of Southampton banner and, personally, was the occasion that the season’s arrival really hit home!



Just some of the lights on Highfield Campus.


The inevitable question “What do you want for Christmas?” has been asked of me and, as per routine, I’ve shrugged and usefully answered “I don’t know!” So if, like me, you’re short on ideas, I’ve listed a few general suggestions below for things to possibly request over the festive period:

Money
A fairly standard suggestion for any student! But if you’d rather make sure it’s used constructively...

Gift vouchers
Just to ensure that you do actually buy food/clothing during the January examination period, rather than (in my case at least) the new Call of Duty game!

A good meal
Speaking of which, a good, wholesome and carefully-prepared meal is a rare thing in the average student kitchen – or at least my house’s, anyhow! Make the most of your Christmas Dinner (and the fallout of turkey sandwiches) before it’s back to the takeaways!

A reminder of home
Things aren’t always easy as a full-time student, so I’ve personally found it great to have a small piece of home in my room to boost morale when needed. Anything which holds value to you can suffice, no matter how big or small – I’ve stuck photos of my cats above my bed!

DVDs/games
For those flat nights in when leaving the front door can seem just too much effort, there’s nothing better than snuggling on the sofa and watching a film or playing a game with your flatmates – it’s always good to refresh your collection!

Textbooks
Unfortunately textbooks can be fairly pricey, but nothing truly replaces them for individual study, so you might want to get hold of some of these before the new semester.

Pens/paper/stationery
Unfortunately, January exams are on the way, so the holiday is a great time to stock up on the necessary essentials for revision. Fortunately, these also include...

Sweets and sugary goodness
January exams are on the way, after all! I recommend sherbet lemons... well, unless you’re a dentist.

An event ticket to look forward to
And having something afterwards to eagerly anticipate is brilliant for helping to look to the future, so get yourself a ticket to a concert, match or festival with some friends. The promise of an Easter trip to Derren Brown saw me happily through last year’s period, and it was well worth the wait!

And there’s your list! I wish you the best of tidings for December: let’s see out 2012 in style!

Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment