Wednesday 16 January 2013

It’s New Year again…

Life has indeed taken a full circle and I realise this when I look back in reminiscence, take a trip down memory lane and raise a toast to 2012. It was a year which has been very challenging, yet satisfying. A year wherein my life saw scarcity… scarcity of means with all the savings drained out to support a family of three. As a postgraduate student in the University and with family around, I had to cut costs and live within a budget. Yet there was fulfilment… fulfilment of aspirations and a long cherished dream to study in the UK… and the contentment of seeing my daughter grow up whilst she was with me at Southampton. The year gave me an opportunity to work with the best brains in the world and to be associated with the best academics at the University. The year saw my dream of travelling to Europe come alive with two trips – one to the Iberian Peninsula during Easter break and another to far off Italy after the exams in June.

The New Year was welcomed last year in the company of my wife and daughter and another Indian friend. We went to Southampton city centre in the evening to buy a few gifts for my daughter and clothes for my wife… in an attempt to get a deal on whatever was left over from the Christmas and Boxing Day sales. The city of Southampton looked much at peace and relaxed after the revelries of Christmas. The Christmas decorations were still up and we had a nice lunch at my favourite hang-out in the city, Pitcher and Piano at Ocean Village and evening coffee at Starbucks before we headed home to ring in the New Year.

The preparations for dinner had begun a day in advance with my wife setting up the chicken and lamb for marinating with pure Indian herbs and spices. Twenty four hours of marinating the meat had rendered it soft and succulent and it all looked quite promising. Our celebrations began at 9pm sharp with exotic chicken roast and champagne and soft music in the background. It was bitingly cold outside and therefore the idea of venturing out at night to the waterfront or Mayflower Park had to be dropped. I could not take any chances with a three month old daughter in arms – her health being the top priority.

A couple of rounds of good chicken roast and champagne had set our mood. It was our first New Year’s Eve away from our homeland and we were all quite excited. Thankfully, my daughter too was enjoying taking turns and looking at us whilst she enjoyed the comforts of her cot.

Our landlord’s mum had dropped in in the evening and brought us a nice looking New Year cake and a big basket of chocolates and cookies for my wife. It was indeed very sweet of her and my wife was really touched by her warmth. She even invited us for lunch the next day – a welcome lunch for my family upon their arrival in Southampton.

As the countdown to the New Year was beginning, we could see our neighbours come out in the streets. We went to the top floor of our house as our house was located on top of a hill in Bitterne and gave an excellent view of the city. The New Year was greeted with a loud uproar and cheer and a grand display of fireworks. Our house was well located and the top floor window allowed us to witness the pomp and show from within the comforts of our home.

As I hugged my wife and daughter, I was really grateful to them for having stood by me and agreeing to come all the way to Southampton from India. My eyes were shining bright as I looked forward to an eventful New Year ahead and the good things in life – togetherness with family, success in my course, sound health and happiness galore!

Rohit

No comments:

Post a Comment