Wednesday 28 November 2012

Delhi… the love continues

It has been almost fifteen years since I left Delhi in 1997 after my Class XII examinations (equivalent to A level in UK) to pave my way for the future. I have gone places since then… Goa, Kochi, Mauritius, Pune, Vizag, Mumbai, Southampton and finally back to Delhi to explore my future prospects… I tend to get very nostalgic when I come back. It feels as if life has gone full circle.

From a reckless lad in 1997 when I left the safe haven of school to face the big, bad world, never did I expect that my pursuit for education would continue for years to come and would take me all the way to Southampton. And now that I have come back to Delhi, I have two Master’s degrees, six years’ work experience as a marine engineer and exposure and education from a world-renowned University – University of Southampton. I am no more an ambivalent eighteen year old – indecisive and uncertain about my future, but a confident engineer who can command attention during a conversation. I am no more a self-obsessed youngster but a husband and a father.

While I address the BIG CHANGE that has occurred in my life in the last fifteen years since I left this city, one thing that has not changed is the city itself. It remains the same old Delhi – capital of the largest democracy in the world and the seat of power, brimming with politicians, diplomats and bureaucrats. The grand look of India Gate – an iconic monument to honour the war heroes – still stands tall and proud and does not fail to inspire you. The old heritage buildings of the city still remind you of the British Raj in the pre-independence era. The energy that the city infuses in you still remains the same. The smell of the Mughlai food and the roadside eateries – the typical Delhi cuisine – still lingers on for hours. You still enjoy the extremes of weather here – summers hot and dusty – and winters extremely cold and chilly. You still look forward to those evening get-togethers in the winters on the stately lawns with kebabs and scotch – where the topics of discussion range from issues as serious as the US elections and the Eurozone crisis to as mundane and bizarre as the hairdo of an actress in the next Bollywood flick. You still find lots and lots of European tourists swarming around the places of interest. Even the people who live here have not changed. Delhi is called the city with a large heart and the people here are rugged – very moody and erratic, their vocabulary full of obscenities – and that has not changed. But all things said and done, the city has a character – a distinct and unique character – and that has not changed over the years.

So, when I arrived in the city last week as the new me, I fell in love with it once again. The look of the city has changed and it looks good with the latest infrastructural developments – a world class airport, massive urbanisation drive, a very efficient Metro train network and much improved lifestyle. I happened to come across a newspaper ad for a UK education fair at the British Council. I was really tempted to go and had it not been for a personal commitment, I would definitely have gone and stood by the University of Southampton stall in the fair. It gives you a sense of immense pride as the association with the University and the country is everlasting and immeasurable. 

The Mayor of London, Boris Johnson, visited Delhi last week and met the Chief Minister here and offered her a few tips on the city’s expertise in higher education, public transport and other infrastructural areas for India’s capital. During a discussion with my family members over dinner about his visit to Delhi, I felt a sense of belonging as I told them about the flamboyance and enterprising acumen of the Mayor and his meticulous approach and planning that resulted in the most successful Olympics to date. No doubt, I am a proud Indian and love everything about India but at the same time I have been a proud UK resident and a student of the University of Southampton – that not only has imparted quality education but has taught me a way of life. It has been two months away from Southampton and I look forward to wrapping things up here and returning soon. Till then, I shall bask in the warmth of Delhi.

Rohit

No comments:

Post a Comment