Wednesday 14 November 2012

Diwali – the festival of light

How much I had been looking forward to this much awaited and much deserved break in India, when I realised that I had got saturated enough in Southampton, as the month of September rolled in. It was supposed to be nothing less than a perfect holiday – meeting family, friends and lazing around. But, the stay in India has so far been action-packed and quite eventful and if there is someone to blame – it is only me and my ruthless planning wherein I try to squeeze in so many things in such a short time! But after a warning from my dear wife – and with the festival of lights, Diwali, round the corner – I knew that it was time to relax and unwind and immerse myself in the festivities.



All dressed up for Diwali Celebrations

Diwali, the shorter version of Deepavali – means row of lights. It is the most important festival for Hindus throughout the world and a major festival celebrated with pomp and style in India. It signifies the triumph of good over evil. It also marks the end of harvest season in India and is a way of thanking the goddess of wealth for her kindness and blessings. It is the festival of lights when people clean up their houses and decorate them with lights, candles and lamps. They visit friends and relatives and give each other sweets and chocolates and set off crackers and fireworks in the evening.

Last year, during Diwali, I was at Southampton, away from friends and family and did miss them a lot on this special day. The day began with a hearty breakfast and then both I and my other Indian flatmate made a long list of people to be called back in India to convey our good wishes and greetings. We then made a quick trip to the nearest Tesco Express and recharged our cell phones with twenty pounds of talk time each. We must have spent at least a couple of hours in this mammoth exercise. I now realise that being so far away from family and friends makes your heart grow fonder – and this was perhaps the first time we were away from them on Diwali. As afternoon set in, we rushed to the temple in town for prayers. There was a huge Diwali celebration carried out on campus last year by the Hindu Society of the University and that added to our happiness on this special day. There was Indian food arranged and Diya (lamp) decorations all over.

It was so heart-warming to witness the bonhomie in the University and celebrate Diwali with students from all over the world. There was also a fireworks display in the evening. As the day ended, I realised that it was not all that bad. Maybe it was the first Diwali away from home and that caused the home-sickness but it was different and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

This year, I was at home in Mumbai and caught up with all the celebrations and splendour of Diwali at Mumbai. It was my daughter’s first Diwali (last year she was just a month old) and that added to my joy. It was a real treat to watch my daughter get dressed in the typical Indian dress. She looked like a princess as she ran through the whole house. My parents and brother had come over for the occasion and it was a perfect family time for all of us. The whole day was spent decorating the house and enjoying each other’s company.


Diwali Celebrations at Marine Drive, Mumbai

As I stood on my balcony overlooking the sea and Marine Drive at night, I realised how beautiful the city looked, glittering with lights and swarming with people. It marks a perfect end to my long vacation as I gear up for the forthcoming assignments.

All is well that ends well!

Rohit

No comments:

Post a Comment