Monday 12 November 2012

Great Expectations (and life in the Performing Arts)

More often than not these days, my housemates have witnessed me stumbling through the door late in the evening and inevitably asked “Rehearsal?”

Yes, it’s the week of the show, and last-minute preparations for SUSU Theatre Group’s production of the Charles Dickens classic Great Expectations are in full swing. Check out the SUSUtv show preview below (and keep your eye out for the upcoming trailer at the same place!)




Soon, a production process which started in mid-September and has since featured interpretive dance, zumba, blocking, class wars, stage combat workshops, human pyramids, Epsom races, innumerable line slip-ups, trailer filming, accent meddling, ballroom dance choreography, zombies, beard growing (sorry Mum!), costume fitting, flyering, in-jokes and cast bonding aplenty will, by the end of the week, have concluded, followed by the inevitable climb-down and post-show blues as all involved accept that, at last, we might actually have to do some work!



For obvious reasons, nothing builds teams quicker than the human pyramid exercise!
(Credit: http://www.facebook.com/TG.GreatExpec)


Great Expectations is the story of the poor young orphan Pip (played superbly by Chris Barlow), who experiences a rapid rise in fortune and class as, after a terrifying encounter with the escaped convict Magwitch (an effervescent Alex Curtis), he goes on to encounter friendship, wealth, mystery, betrayal, murder and, in the form of the beautiful yet cold-hearted Estella (the astounding Ashleigh Clowes), love, on his path through life.

Watching over him is a whole multitude of characters, including my own, Joseph Gargery, Pip’s blacksmith brother-in-law whose life in poverty is cast aside by the fortune-seeking Pip, part of a talented and diverse ensemble cast which incorporates the eerie Miss Havisham (an Alice Walsh who still gives me the shivers!) and strict lawyer Jaggers (the commanding James Forster) amongst others.



Joe Gargery and Pip at the Forge. (Credit: http://www.joehart.co.uk/)


It’s a tale which has resonated throughout generations of English Literature, with adaptations abound as recent as the BBC’s TV series last year, a dynamic ensemble-based and immersive (you, the audience, are part of the but one which finds a fresh new life in the Annex Theatre with our production through show!) telling. Without wishing to give too much away, there’re plenty of exciting new tweaks and additions to the show whilst retaining the classic core story, making it a show not to be missed.

Accordingly, I’m writing this article sat in a rehearsal, fatigued and slightly stressed, with three tricky coursework deadlines looming on the horizon, ears pricked in case I hear my cue, and knowing that, upon my return to the house tonight, I’ll need to do a couple more hours of hitting the books. So why, given the time commitment, do I do it?

And the answer is simple: I couldn’t live without it!

Although I can recall finding acting tricky at first, the first school play I was involved in, Our Country’s Good, infected me with a passion to continue auditioning for shows, just through the sheer buzz that being on the stage provided. I can be quite an introverted or sleepy person at the best of times – “good morning” seems such a mouthful after a 9am lecture! – but when I’m in character, standing afore expectant eyes, I get an electric sense of adrenaline coursing through my veins, and the thrill makes me conscious of every minute detail of my face and body, be it the position of my hands, the way I’m speaking or my expression. In short, I feel completely empowered, particularly when an audience’s reaction gives you immediate feedback on the extent to which you’ve succeeded. There’s nothing quite like delivering a punch-line to be greeted by laughter (hence my recent joining of Comedy Society!), or reading a positive review in the student or local press, for putting a skip in your step.

But what really makes being a member of the Performing Arts societies such an absolute delight is the people behind them. Nowhere else have I ever encountered such a sharp, witty,welcoming, creative, enthusiastic, talented and buoyant bunch of people, and being alongside them not only improves my own performing abilities because of the high standards they exhibit, but also always generates memories I know I’ll go on to cherish in life. There’s nothing quite like the mentality of a team about to display their collective endeavours to the general public, as everyone strives to help one another, and the show, be the best they can be, and it results in some strong friendships.



Performing is great for quickly getting to know some inspiring and fantastic people! 
 (Credit: http://www.facebook.com/TG.GreatExpec)


So to everyone out there who’s ever considered dabbling in acting, singing, dancing, comedy, writing, circus, magic, bands, choirs or staging, just go along and try it out! After all, you may not get the opportunity again, and the Performing Arts department at SUSU is a magnificently challenging and simultaneously rewarding one. It’s never been easier to get involved in its activities – simply take a glance at the PA website here (or drop me a comment below) for your preferred society’s details and drop in to a session, and you’ll soon be welcomed into the fold.

So why do I do Performing Arts? Because I love performing, and I love spending time with my fellow performers, such as the cast and crew of Great Expectations.

Looking back on how far we’ve come, and at the feats we, as a group, have together accomplished, I can earnestly say the experience has been an uplifting honour and privilege, and one which I’ll miss dearly. Now, with the end in sight, it’s over to you guys to come along and give us that last push to spur us over the line. Actors rarely get the opportunity to thank their audiences, but they really do make all the difference to build confidence, to build atmosphere and to build a show, so please take a night off the books (or the clubs!) next week and get yourself down to the Annex Theatre for an evening’s entertainment.

To finish on a typical outrageous show-name pun: I hope we, as a cast and crew, can match your own (hopefully) Great Expectations!



SUSU Theatre Group’s Great Expectations runs every night at the Annex Theatre, Highfield Campus, between Wednesday 14th and Saturday 17th November, with all performances beginning at 7.30pm; there is also an additional matinĂ©e performance at 2.30pm on Saturday 17th November. Tickets are £8 for Adults, £6.50 for Students and Concessions, and £5 for Performing Arts Members, and can be purchased at the SUSU Box Office, online boxoffice.susu.org or reserved by emailing greatexpectations@theatre-group.com

We look forward to seeing you there!

Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment