Tuesday 21 January 2014

Light at the end of the tunnel

Three exams down and one to go! My last exam for this semester is on Wednesday and then I’ll finally be able to relax for a couple of days (well almost, I will still have dance classes and several rehearsals to attend!). And truth be told, I always find myself having something to do while I’m at uni. I’ve now also made plans to meet up with a couple of my old flatmates from first year which will be a lot of fun. One of them helped me a lot over the summer while I attended a three week intensive Mandarin language training course for beginners. While my mum does know some Mandarin, she never thought of teaching my sister or me. I suppose since my dad’s first language is Swedish it was just easier if we all spoke English at home. (He never taught my sister or me any Swedish until we moved to Sweden when I was twelve.) Anyway, I’ve always though that knowing several languages was very valuable (and cool!), so I tried my best to secure a place on the course, which only had a limited number of places available. The course was funded by the Confucius Institute, which meant we were lucky enough to be given the lessons and learning material for free! Our teacher was super enthusiastic and very encouraging, I’m so grateful I was given the opportunity to take part. By the end of the three week course our final task was to give an entire presentation in Mandarin and this is where my old flatmate came in. He was born in China and had a good knowledge of Mandarin, so he was able to help me a lot, especially with my pronunciation which was (and still is) terrible! If I was to compare learning Swedish and Mandarin, Mandarin is hands down much harder. (I know living in the country of the language you are trying to learn does make it a lot easier but I think that even if I hadn’t lived in Sweden for seven years, Mandarin would still be much harder). Since I rarely use Mandarin in my daily life, I am beginning to forget a lot of what I worked so hard to learn over the summer. I’d actually like to continue to build on my knowledge because I think it would be a very useful language to know and it would make communicating with many of my relatives on my mother’s side a lot easier. So once exams are over I plan on revising what I learnt over the summer. My former flatmate has even agreed to continue to help me learn more Mandarin. I suppose he’ll at least get a good laugh seeing as my pronunciation resembles how an infant would speak (his words not mine). Nevertheless, I am excited to get back into it and grateful for the help.



Me and the other students who took part in the summer course, after receiving our certificates.


I’m also excited to start new modules once semester two begins. However, I think once I’m finished with my last exam I’m going to give my options another think over. I have quite a lot of freedom on my course to choose the modules which I find most interesting and to create my own path (biology is very broad). This is a luxury but it’s also a bit of pressure. It forces you to make decisions about your future and to really think about what YOU want to do. I’m still trying to decide which area of biology I’m most passionate about. I may even want to take a module completely unrelated to my course. In any case I’ll be sure it give it some thought once my last exam is over. Also related to my course, the Biosoc (Biological Sciences Society) committee have arranged for Simon Watt from Inside Nature’s Giants to come to Southampton and talk about life behind the scenes of filming the programme. I attended a number of really interesting and inspiring seminars from various guest speakers last year so I’m excited to see what this year will bring.



Photo of me holding a model of a baby (used for special effects) after attending a talk Faking Science for TV from David Barlow (who has worked on programmes including Life on Earth and Fight for Life) on how scientific research can be used in special effects.

Anyway, it’s back to the books for me! The next time you hear from me I will have finished my last exam… I can’t wait!

Kristin


No comments:

Post a Comment