Monday 27 January 2014

Time to celebrate!

It’s finally the end of semester one! Exams are over, assignments are handed in and most people are enjoying the weekend off before we start all over again next week. 

My exams finished on Tuesday, so I’ve spent most of the week relaxing and catching up with various things which got pushed to the bottom of the pile during the exam period. It’s scary to think about the fact that my penultimate semester has finished, and that I’ve only got around four months left here at Southampton! I’m excited to see what the next term will bring, especially as I’m taking a module in another subject, Geography, for the first time. Combined honours students like myself don’t often have the opportunity to take electives, as they’re known here, so when I found out I was able to this year, I jumped at the chance. It will be challenging – different subjects often require very different writing styles – but I’m sure it will add lots of positives to my university experience. Plus, the topic of the module, Geographies of Nature, is directly relevant to my dissertation, which I hope will prove helpful.

The highlight of last week, as mentioned by Robin, had to be SUSU’s Petting Zoo, one of several events put on by the Students’ Union to help relieve exam stress. I loved meeting the dogs, and my friend Emily got to hold a guinea pig!



Meeting these little guys definitely cheered us up!


As I said in my last post, I moved up to Southampton during my exams, which has been a complete godsend. Don’t get me wrong – I’ve still had early mornings and late nights, but at least I could leave the library safe in the knowledge that my bed was only a 10 minute walk, rather than a 40 minute drive! My new housemates made me feel very welcome, and even came and celebrated the end of my exams with me, with dinner and drinks at Turtle Bay. I’ve grown quite accustomed to living in Southampton again, so it will be quite strange to go back to Bournemouth, although I’ve missed being able to turn the heating on whenever I want! The luxuries of living at home!



Turtle Bay – One of my favourite Southampton eateries


I’m currently on my way up to London for a friend’s birthday party. It will be a great chance to catch up with all my uni friends and celebrate the end of exams all over again. I’m especially looking forward to seeing Florence, who wrote for Life at Southampton last year, as I haven’t seen her since September! 



I’ve got all my journey essentials!



I’m also planning on catching up on some well deserved rest. Having not sat exams at Southampton for over a year, I’d forgotten how much it can take it out of you, but I know all the hard work will be worth it in the end.

Tayler

No comments:

Post a Comment